Helping Santa Fe Rethink Their Waste
Mulch is great for making your landscape or garden look nice by; suppressing weed growth, helping the soil retain water, reducing erosion, and providing nutrients through the breakdown of organic material.
Where Can I Find Mulch?
- Residents can pickup FREE mulch at BuRRT if taking less than 1 CY (cubic yard) of material (approximately a pick truck bed worth) and load it on your own.
- For a cost of $3/CY, Agency Staff at BuRRT can load trailers, but you must call in advance. For liability reasons BuRRT staff will NOT load pickup trucks with our equipment. Customers are encouraged to call between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Tuesday-Thursday to have a trailer loaded.
- For a cost of $3/CY, BuRRT will load a trailer or large truck (e.g. dump trucks, etc.) using the Agency’s equipment when notified in advance.
- Only Agency equipment will be allowed to load. Large/Commercial Customers are encouraged to call between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Tuesday-Thursday to have a large truck or trailer loaded.
The BuRRT Mulch Product:
- The mulch at BuRRT is ground green waste using a 2-inch or 4-inch screen.
- It is not composted.
- The mulch may contain small amounts of weeds, seeds, plastic, paper, and metal.
For a low cost, the City of Santa Fe Waste Water Treatment Plant Division sells Compost is made from Biosolids (nitrogen) from the City’s Wastewater Treatment Plant, some horse bedding, and pulverized green waste (carbon) from the Caja del Rio Landfill.
If you are looking for a particular kind or color of mulch, contact your local garden center for the styles and prices of mulch they carry.