Helping Santa Fe Rethink Their Waste
When you toss materials anywhere but the appropriate bin, it is considered dumping or littering, and it is illegal.
When Santa Fe County and City residents do not want to pay to properly dispose of their trash, it ends up in the arroyo or open space, polluting the habitat for both animals and humans.
Rethink Illegal Dumping
Report Illegal Dumping
Recycling is mandatory at Santa Fe County Solid Waste Convenience Centers. Recycling saves $50 per ton, helps the environment, and keeps taxes down. Any person placing accepted recyclable material in trash bins will be issued a warning and/or issued a citation. If found guilty, the criminal penalty shall be a fine of at least $25 for the first offense, $50-$100 for the second offense, and $75-$200 for the third offense. Click here to learn more about recycling. (Source)
New Mexico Environment Department Solid Waste and Dumping Complaints
New Mexico State Land Office Site Remediation and Illegal Dumping
“The Environmental Services Division offers a large-item pick-up service for items such as large appliances and furniture.
Large Item Service Fee – $33.33 per visit. Call Environmental Services (505) 955-2200 to schedule collection.
- One customer per call and all items must originate from that customer’s household.
- Any shall be secured to avoid spilling.
- Containers and/or bundles shall not exceed fifty (50) pounds.
- Tree limbs must be bundled and no longer than four (4) feet, and shall not exceed fifty (50) pounds.
- Construction debris must be contained or bundled (plywood, boards, sheet rock, etc.).
- Sharp objects must be placed in separate cardboard boxes and labeled accordingly.
- A maximum of two (2) passenger car tires per residence per scheduled collection.
- Items placed at the curb in an area free of obstructions by 7:00 a.m. on the day designated for collection.
- Customers whose Public Utilities account is delinquent more than thirty (30) days not eligible for service.” (Source)
Take your unwanted materials to BuRRT to have it disposed of properly.